Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Polish Days - The Number 5



My first foray into the world of nail blogging and what better way to start things off than by doing a Polish Days event?
OK here goes, 7-May Tue and the theme is “The Number 5″.
Say what? Hmm, after thinking about it a bit, it really can be a very wide theme. There are so many things/ events/ in the world that are related to the number 5.
What I settled on in the end is something I’m pretty pleased about, something that ties in well with the theme at hand and also with my heritage: The Five Elements!
The Five Elements, in Chinese astrology are: Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal and Water - better known in Chinese as 五行 which loosely translates as The Five States.
五行 is represented by the following Chinese characters:
(wood),  (fire), (earth),  (metal),   (water)
all of which have a correlationship with each other.



Here’s a nifty graphic showing how all all the elements are linked to each other in multiple ways and the colours associated with each element.




Enough talk, here's my mani!




I decided it would be best to go with a white base as a neutral canvas for the rest of the nail art.








And I only decided to add in the Chinese characters halfway through my mani. So if the placement of the characters looks strange or off-center, that's why. :)









The Chinese character for metal (金) literally means gold so I drew a gold ingot!


Each of the Chinese characters is written in the corresponding element colour. Metal was a challenge! Trying to fit that many strokes into such a tight space was really difficult, even with my deliberately unproportionate ingot.





I'm not going to go into too much explanation. Hopefully, what I've drawn is legible enough!




Check out all the other creations of the creative ladies taking part in this Polish Days below.

8 comments:

  1. lovely inspiration and great detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really enjoyed doing this one. Looking forward to the next Polish Days already!

      Delete
  2. Love it! I totally considered that as a theme, but did not have faith in my art skills. This is a better rendition of the 5 elements than I could even imagine on nails! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! I'm really happy you like it. :)

      Delete
  3. I love it! We both chose "the five elements" though we used different elemental systems. ^_^ I really liked your earth nail, but they're all great together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the one that turned out the best too! Thanks! :)

      Delete